Scar revision surgery
Scar Revision Surgery
- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
What is a scar?
Scar is made up of fibrous tissue, which replaces the normal tissue after the injury. Scarring is part of biological process of healing. Though scar is not considered a disease but can lead to cosmetic disfigurement and low self-esteem.
What are various types of scars that may require scar revision surgery?
There are various types of scars as follows:
- Acne scars: These can be seen in cases of severe acne and can be of various shapes and sizes.
- Post traumatic scars: mostly atrophic scars.
- Post surgical scars: suture marks or poor approximation of edges.
- Hypertrophic scars:These are raised often red or dark coloured scars and generally do not go beyond margin of injury.They can get wider over time.
- Contracture scars: These are formed when skin gets burnt. They tighten and pull the skin and can restrict limb movement.
Who is the right candidate for cosmetic scar revision surgery?
You are the right candidate for scar revision surgery if:
- The scar is limiting your daily activities or movement.
- The scar is causing a cosmetic disfigurement which bothers you.
- You have tried other modalities for scar revision, but they haven’t worked for you.
- You are physically healthy in general.
- You do not suffer from any active infection of skin disease at the area to be treated.
- Ready to understand that scar may not clear completely after scar revision surgery
What is a cosmetic scar revision surgery?
This is a surgery which attempts to reduce the size of the scar and modify its tone and texture so that it blends with the surrounding skin and does not stand out. The site will be cleaned, and anaesthesia will be administered. This is followed by removal of the scar tissue (like in hyper trophic scars or reconstructing it where complete removal is not possible (like in burn scar). The technique adopted will depend on type of the scar:
Z-plasty:In this procedure, the surgeon creates angled flaps by cutting along either side of the scar. These flaps are then repositioned to improve the appearance of the scar. This method is used in reorientation of contracture scars.
Skin Grafting: Involves taking skin from another part of body and attaching it over the concerned area.
Skin flap surgery: Here full thickness skin including fat, nerves, blood vessels and muscle is removed from a healthy site of body and placed on the injured site. This technique not only improves scars appearance but repairs the lost function due to injury.
Tissue Expansion: This technique helps the body to grow extra skin over the scar. A balloon is placed under the skin, in vicinity of the scar, it gradually stretches the skin as it expands. This technique is used in contracture scars andin breast reconstruction.
What do I expect post-surgery?
Post procedure, an antiseptic will be applied on the treated area and the surgical site will be dressed using a bandage. You can leave the doctor’s clinic after this. Depending on type of suture used, you may be asked to come back for stich removal. If the suture used is self-dissolving this may not be required. In Keloid surgery, a pressure bandage may be put on the operated area to prevent keloid from coming back.
When Can I return to work after surgery?
In small scars you can work from next day. In large scar surgeries itdepends on site and degree of surgery. Your doctor will be your best guide in this.
What is the post care procedure?
Following must be followed:
- Generally, it is advised to decrease your activity post-surgery and rest well. You may be required to put the surgical site at an elevated position for some time.
- Your doctor may prescribe medications for pain and infection control, follow the instructions closely.
- Daily wound care as recommended by your doctor should be followed.
- Visit your doctor for stich removal if instructed by him/her. It is generally done 3-5 days post procedure.
- If you have any bleeding, acute pain, swelling, discharge in or around the operated area, or fever, report to your doctor immediately.
What are the risks involved in the procedure?
Risks are related to common surgical procedure. Pain and infection are most common risks.
Why Should I choose Dr.Kothiwala’s SkinEva Clinic for cosmetic scar revision surgery?
At our clinic, Scar revision surgery is performed by Dr. Sunil Kothiwala and team under strict guidelines and protocols to ensure your safety. Doctor and his team are very well experienced and have expertise in the field and have successfully conducted many scar revision surgeries over the years.
What is the cost of cosmetic scar revision surgery?
The cost depends on site and size of scar and complexity of surgical procedure. Usually at our clinic it starts from 7000-8000 INR for small scars of approx size 3 cm. It include all the expenses of surgery only. Required investigation and post surgery medicines are not covered in this price. Usually Investigation and Medicine expense are very minimal.
For more information on Scar revision surgery or to inquire about other services please contact us on 7726938335.
Book An Appointment
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.
Dr. Kothiwala SkinEva Clinic
Dr. Kothiwala SkinEva Clinic
(Mon to Sat)
- Mon – Sat 10:00 AM – 7 PM
- Morning 9:00 AM- 10:30 AM
- Evening 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
- Morning 8:30 AM-10:00 AM
Just make an appointment to get help from our experts .