Hymen Repair Surgery /Hymenoplasty
Hymenoplasty /Revirginization / Virginity restoration surgery
Hymenoplasty, in simple terms, is the reconstruction of a woman’s hymen.
Definition of a Hymen?
The hymen is a thin fleshy tissue that covers the vaginal opening either partially or completely. It is developed in-utero, and is present right from the time of birth. There are different shapes of the hymenal opening. In rare cases, the hymen may be completely covering the vaginal opening, also known as imperforate hymen. The hymenal opening is necessary for the outflow of menstrual blood and normal vaginal discharge. Hence, girls presenting with imperforate hymen also require surgery for opening the hymen.
In reality, the hymen doesn’t serve any purpose in the female body. But, historically it has been associated with a women’s purity and innocence. There are many cultures that directly link intact hymen and show of blood upon first penile penetration to virginity. However, there is no scientific proof for it and presence of hymen doesn’t always guarantee virginity, and vice- versa.
Hymen may be ruptured by various other acts other than sexual intercourse. This can be seen in athletes, girls using tampons, horse riding, masturbation and after gynecological examinations. Rarely, hymen may be absent congenitally.
Common Reasons for Hymenoplasty?
- Burying the past: with the westernization of our culture, it is very common to see the adolescent girls indulging in pre-marital sex, long before she’s mentally prepared for the emotional impact. Many a times, they feel regretful for the act and want to burry the evidence, mostly prior to their marriage. At this time, a surgery for restoration of virginity may relieve her psychologically and allow her live a normal life.
- Cultural beliefs: There are many cultures, which strictly believe that intact hymen is a sign of purity. So, a woman may want to provide this indication of purity to her spouse for their upcoming nuptials.
- As a gift to the partner: Usually opted by women on their second honeymoon as a surprise for their partners, to give their partner a virginal experience by opting for virginity reconstruction surgery.
- Accidental rupture: As in athletes, bicycle or horse riders, or tampon insertion might not be acceptable and they may opt for virginity repair surgery to restore the damage.
- Enhancement of sexual pleasure: it is seen that after childbirth and with aging, the vaginal muscles weaken. Hymenoplasty surgery can be an option to tighten these muscles and help in sexual enhancement.
- After sexual assault: women are shattered physically and psychologically after such episodes. Virginity repair surgery in such women not only offers the physical restoration, but also helps in psychological comfort and healing.
Virginity restoration surgery is an OPD procedure. It is done under local anesthesia and lasts from 45 minutes to 1 hour. The torn edges of the hymen are identified, the margins freshened up and the remaining tissue is stitched together, leaving a small opening.
The surgery takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour. You can go home immediately after the procedure. Work can be resumed from the very next day. Strenuous activities and heavy weight lifting should be avoided till the stitches dissolve completely. Slight bleeding post-op is absolutely normal. Stitches used are very fine and absorbable and disappear within 3 to 4 weeks. Complete healing sometimes takes around 6 weeks, after which it is practically not possible to differentiate between a natural and a reconstructed hymen.
There are no major complications associated with the procedure. But, you should report to the hospital if any of these develop:
- Pain beyond moderate discomfort after three days
- Unusual or foul smelling discharge
- Intense itching
- Abnormal bleeding
Cost of hymenoplasty surgery
Virginity restoration surgery is very cost-effective. As compared to the benefit of psychological relief and regain of self-confidence, the price of hymenoplasty is very low. To enquire about hymenoplasty cost at our center, please contact the front office.