Fetal Echo (22- 24 weeks)
What is fetal echo?
Fetal echo or fetal echocardiography is a test available in Jaipur similar to an ultrasound to evaluate the baby’s heart for problems before birth. It’s typically done in the second trimester, between weeks 18 to 24.
The exam uses sound waves and creates a picture, or echocardiogram, of the baby’s heart’s interior which provides information on how your baby’s heart formed and whether it’s working properly.
When is fetal echo used?
When the unborn child is at risk for a heart abnormality or other disorder
- A family history of heart disease
- The mother has already given birth to a child with a heart condition
- The mother has used drugs or alcohol during the pregnancy
- Taken certain medications or been exposed to medications that can cause heart defects, such as epilepsy drugs or prescription acne drugs
- Has other medical conditions, like rubella, type 1 diabetes, lupus, or phenylketonuria
How is the test performed?
The fetal echo is performed by 2 ways.
- Abdominal echocardiography- it is performed in the same way as an ultrasound. The probe is kept on the stomach.
- Transvaginal echocardiography- the probe is inserted into the vagina. This is done in early stages of pregnancy.
With the test or the diagnosis, the couple or the parents can manage and plan for the baby accordingly. It assesses the heart’s structure and function thereby preparing the doctor for the faster surgical intervention. The correction treatment will be done once the baby is born. Dr. Mayuri Kothiwala is an experienced doctor who recommends the Fetal Echo test in Jaipur well in time and guide on the action plan.